Saturday, July 08, 2006

The klutz strikes again and again

Okay for those of you that know me and love me (Martha), you might know that I can be a bit of a klutz. Well, add to my natural tendencies a very rough surface to walk on, including large holes as well as many people vying for my attention. Yes, I know; it sounds like a fatal scenario.

On my first day in Kampala, we were changing some money. On the way back to the car, a taxi man was harassing me trying to get me to ride in his van. Next thing I know, my left foot goes into a relatively large hole, and I go down fast. I landed extremely hard on my right knee. Of course, all of the folks around me starting saying, "Oh, sorry, sorry," (I have heard this same response many a time on other African visits as I made a similar fall.). My knee was pretty scraped up but the worse part was that it was my bad right knee. It was quite swollen and sore for a couple of days and now it is faded to a nice shade of yellow and purple. End of story #1.

So a week later, as my right knee was healing, Eric and I were looking at new pickup trucks (yep, we are getting a brand new one as the one that we are currently driving is going to be given to another staff member as they shuffle around older vehicles). Well, I was busy talking with the salesaman about the value of a hand grips by the doors of the truck while you are driving on rough roads, when out of the blue, my left foot rolls off of a little ledge. Next thing I know, I am down on the ground again. I am again met with, "Oh, sorry, sorry." (They have no idea how often this happens.) My left knee, while it didn't hit the ground as hard as my right, is more cut-up including cuts across the top of my left foot and ankle from the roll. So I went around for awhile then with blood trickling down my leg. Sufficed to say... I have the most lovely knees right now. If only there were some kind of contest for this kind of thing :)

4 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, glad to hear that there's some normalcy to your new life! Do you need Gram to send her ankle PT, Martha?

We're planning to sandwich the World Cup watching between golf & tennis tomorrow....so know that it's a globally shared event.

And take care. Love,
AB & UD

 
At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eric and Martha,

Glad to hear you were able to see your house in Arua. Sorry about the awful traffic and the falls. I know from Kinshasa and the interior that driving both situations can be very challenging.

I've sent a couple of Emails, one to Martha's and one to Eric's address. Hope they got through.

Love,

Dad

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Jewels said...

Marti,

I loved the stories of your falls, you must take after your older cousin's accident-prone nature! Yes!

I'm so excited about your new house and the backyard with the avocado tree.

How's your computer access? I hope we will be able to see pictures...
Blessings to you & Eric,

Julia

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Martha & Kios!

That is so cool that you guys have a blog! Man...things sure have changed since the 80s/early 90s when Kios and I were in Zaire.

Hey Kios...I was think the other day of your poem about the shores of Africa calling you back! Well, I ran across this photo the other day: http://del.icio.us/scoppedge/KIOSnMARTHA

Tika na Tonde, Moanda cliffs! I see they were successful in calling you back :-)

Ciao,
Compe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home