Thursday, August 16, 2007

Departure

It has been a long time. What started out as a routine trip to Kampala at the end of June turned into anything but routine. I became extremely ill while in Kampala. It was the most sick that I have ever felt in my life. After several trips to see Dr. Stockley and three nights at International Hospital Kampala, I was emergency flighted to Nairobi Hospital. I spent five nights at this hospital. After many, many tests, the only thing that they could say was that I had some extremely acute virus. We stayed in Nairobi for a few days after being released from the hospital for more reviews with the doctors. Eventually we made it back to Arua for a very brief stay before leaving with my mom on a planned vacation in Kenya. Unfortunately, I became very ill again while in Kenya. I saw the doctors a couple of more times, but some of the symptoms are still persisting. It has been a very long couple of months. Thank you so much for your prayers and concerns during this time. Eric has been stretched extremely thin with my illness and his continuing work.

Before we even made the original trip to Kampala, I was having to take a lot steroids to ease my chronic health issues. It was at this point that we decided that I was not really being able to live my life here and that we should return to the US. I tell you this with a lot sadness from dashed hopes and dreams. We have come to love Arua and the community that we share here. We believe that God has control of even what is happening now. I know that he has a purpose for us and a plan for us even if it looks different that what we believed it to be a year ago. We have peace with our decision even though it comes with some pain.

As it is still necessary for me to continue receiving medical treatment, our exit from Arua will be very rapid. Eric and I will leave Arua next Thursday. I will leave that weekend for the US. Eric will return to Arua until Sept. 18th and then have a couple more weeks in Kampala. At that point, the office in Arua will be closed until a replacement is found. Eric will be continuing to work for CRWRC and with our partners here in West Nile until at the most January, 2008, or until a replacement is found. Ideally he will return to Uganda for handover once the new person is hired.

We ask for your prayers during this transition. Eric and I are not looking forward to more time apart, but it seemed absolutely necessary in this situation. We will be moving back to Ohio where I will begin looking for a job once I am fully recovered. As there are so many unknowns (where we will live, what kind of job will I search for, what church will we attend, etc.), we covet your prayers. One of the things that makes me very sad is that our faithful househelp, Grace (bread Grace), will no longer have employment once we leave. Please pray for her as she seeks other employment. We also have a cat that needs a home so please pray for Milo too.

4 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We look forward to giving you a hug in person....meanwhile, go very gently, both of you.
Love,
AB

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With tears in my eyes, I feel the pain you have in this difficult decision. I too fell in love with your community in Arua. Isn't it wonderful that we can depend on a faithful and loving God who never changes? He knows what is best for you and for His kingdom. Give thanks for His tender care.

I'm looking forward to your return.

Much love
Mom B

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Jewels said...

I'm praying that God will overwhelm you with His goodness, Martha! Thanks for all the great work you did in the past year.

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes. I can only imagine how difficult this decision has been for you. I think of you every day when I see Ama's mobile and am praying for God's healing hand upon you.

Wendy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home