Friday, July 14, 2006

HIV/AIDS Workshop

This week Eric and I were a part of an HIV/AIDS workshop for CRWRC partners. The workshop's focus was integrating HIV/AIDS initiatives into already existing programs within the church. As you can imagine, this is a monumental task. If it were easy to combat AIDS and its horrific effects, it would have been done long ago.

Thinking about this issue absolutely breaks my heart. Everyone at the workshop was somehow touched by AIDS. There is no way to avoid it here. I confess that I do not pray about this enough. I think that it can be easy to separate myself from the horrors in the world when they feel like they are too big to comprehend. But yet when I do this, I am also separating myself from Christ's work in the world. I am forgetting about the HOPE that we have. I sometimes want to run and hide from so much pain but yet Christ lived with and loved the most oppressed. Please join me in praying for Christ's work in Africa with those affected and infected by HIV/AIDS. By God's grace there is so much to be done in the world.

3 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ones, Even at Peaceful Moanza before the AIDS pandemic, there were needs around me and more than I could deal with so I feel for you now with even more to face.

Also, especially since we had no such thing as internet, I felt totally cut offfrom the world and still have little understanding of what went on between 1964 and 1992. You will be able to keep up with more or with people who can respond to you.

However, you will need to limit yourselves, even there, to projects where you can make a difference and block out bigger pictures or you will be overwhelmed which sometimes limits the ability to do anything.

I always felt like Congo was a world unto itself when I was there andwhen I was in the USA (as now), I would see world needs (as middle east) and Congo didn't exist. I could never keep both Congo and the world or even just the USA in my mind and heart at the same time - it was one world or the other. I hope you can do better and find ways to stay aware even while focusing where you are.

Love and blessings
mama a

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Jewels said...

What a huge job - and great opportunity to be the hands and feet of Christ. We will continue to pray for your work, Marty.

Makes those maniac drivers sound tame in comparison!

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you aprtaking in workshops, churches can get alot done as they have the people to help.

I setup a HIV support chatroom on AIDSchat.org for those with HIV or AIDS.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home