Sunday, August 06, 2006

Grasshopper


There have been quite a few unusual sightings since arriving in Arua. Some of these undoubtedly were things that some of the Ugandans saw Eric and I doing :), but we have also witnessed some eye-openers. These range from large herds of cattle with gigantic horns walking up the roads (I have seen large herds on the roads before, but some of the cattle here have the largest horns you can imagine. I am sure that eventually we will have a camera in tow when we see one of these herds.), monstrous cockroaches (don't get me started on this as they are my sworn enemy), and a couple strange grasshopper sigtings.

Eric and I were on our evening walk when from a distance, we saw what we thought was a line of soldier ants. As many of you know, this is a scary sight for me so it was a relief and a quandary when we discovered that it was a parade of grasshoppers. All different size grasshopper were hopping in a line across the road. I think that some of them were even carrying instruments and riding on floats. It may have even been larger parade than the Terre Haute Memorial Day parade.

The following day Eric came upon the king or perhaps queen (we really don't know the difference :) of all grasshoppers. He/she was HUGE and beautiful. I really think that the picture does not do this grasshopper justice. Right after the picture was taken, he/she jumped right onto me and proceeded walking up to my shoulder. When he/she finally jumped away, the flight showed that he/she had the most beautifully colored wings that glowed with different colors in the sun. I love little blessings like this. Creation is just astounding!

5 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Blogger Jewels said...

Cockroaches are God's creatures, too.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Jewels said...

the above comment was made in a monotone voice

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Bob said...

A bigger parade than Terre Haute?! You are movin' up! But the big question is did the band dance?

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a kingfisher on my way to church today. They have become fairly common along the Mad River.

Have you seen any gray crested cranes yet? I want to know about the birds. . .

Mom

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See this website for ways to trap cockroaches (to figure out where they're living) and try the boric acid approach to control....if they aren't edible.
http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/pest/
factsheets/120-94.htm (you'll need to paste it back together again)

And keep sharing the wonders around you.
Love, AB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home