Friday, September 01, 2006

Wildlife

While you have heard about the plethora of ant wildlife, we have also had the opportunity to see some wildlife that we actually really enjoy. Most of these animals were sited during a couple of trips we took from Arua to Kampala via Murchison Falls Park. Note: one of the animals below does not belong on the list. See if you can pick out which one…

Elephants
Giraffes
Water buffalo
Hippos
Water buck
Oribi
Hartebeest
Ugandan bok
Impalas
Monkeys
Baboons
Tigers
Warthogs
Maribou Storks
Fish eagles
Great gray pelicans
Goliath herrons
Go-away birds
Polar bears
Vultures
Hamroks
Crested crown cranes (the national bird)
And many more…

Okay, actually there are two animals that don’t belong on this list. The polar bear and the tiger. Tigers live exclusively in Asia. It is possible, however, to see leopards, cheetahs, and lions in Uganda. Uganda also can boast the fact that it is one of only three countries where the famous mountain gorrilas live. The diversity of the wildlife here is fantastic, especially the birds. In fact, Uganda is supposed to make bird watchers out of many people who may not have been otherwise simply because of the large variety of birds here.

That being said, it should be noted that the wildlife population is still in the process of rebounding. During the Idi Amin era, much of the wildlife was destroyed by Amin’s military for food, especially when Amin was on the run from the incoming rebel group, the National Resistance Movement which was led by the current president, Museveni. The one positive side to this story is that Uganda, which has beautiful landscapes as well as amazing wildlife, is not overpopulated by tourists. The national parks can be enjoyed in a way that you can’t in many of the more popular destinations in Kenya, Tanzania, or South Africa.

Those rocks in the background will soon make a close-up appearance. Notice where the railroad tracks are.

Here one of them comes. I guess that they didn't like us hanging around.



Now note the railroad tracks. Yep, he came that close.

Now check out these two beautiful creatures. The maribou stork and...

Hakuna Matata-- the warthog

13 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, why is it called a go-away bird? And does the city of Arua have any wildlife (esp. birds) or is it all found in preserves these days? Glad you got the picture posting figured out. Great to see what you get to see & you seeing it.
Love,
AB (UD napping after golf, will show him when he awakens)

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make me smile. :) Are those hyenas by the railroad tracks in the second picture? That should make Joe happy.

You definitely got up close and personal. What a thrill!!! I can't wait.

Love,
Mom

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Bob said...

What?! Since when can Mom not tell the difference between a hyena and an elephant?! I guess we need to get her to the zoo. "See, Mom... elephant... NOT an elephant."

I'm sure I'll have more comments after I show these great pictures to the kids.

 
At 6:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Her new glasses came in the wrong color....so she's still waiting. A little patience with the elders.
..although the zoo might still be a good idea, in preparation.
Love,
AB

 
At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eric and Martha,

How wonderful that you have been able to get out and see some of the sights of Uganda. My RIVER NILE book tells me that the Bakers were the first Europeans to see and give the current name to Murchison Falls, in 1862. I found Moorehead's WHITE NILE a fascinating account of the explorations and politics of that period. Anyway, don't pet the lions, and have a good week.

Love,

Dad

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Team Smith,
cool photos of the wildlife! The only 'big-game' wild animal I saw in Zaire was one hippo!!

So Suzie & I had a great trip to Virginia, and enjoyed hanging out with Team Marye, the Ba-Shannon clan, and others!

Then we spent saw my parents, and two college friends...including Dawningstar -a bridesmaid at the wedding. We hung out with her in DC-area where she lives, and 8 days ago (on a Sunday) we went along to her church, an afternoon service. D-Star tells me..."there's this guy you should meet...he grew up in Kenya"

I looked over...and lo and behold...there was Bowers!

And not only did I hang out with him after the service, but he in turn said...he there's this guy you should meet...he went to TASOK"

I looked over...and there was Matthew Harder!

En tout cas, the world is a small place!!!

Bon, here's some photos:
www.diigo.com/user/unrelated/kiosnmartha

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a separate note,

Martha, sorry to hear about those insane ants. How is your eye? Anyway you can visit European-trained or North American trained doctors?
---
In one of your previous posts you mentioned some communities you work with that are doing micro-financing. I saw some interesting articles on Hewlett-Packard's Remote Transaction System...they tested it in Uganda! Maybe you've already seen them...I posted them:
www.diigo.com/user/unrelated/kiosnmartha

I'm very interested in open source software...which is free, and community developed, so often there's free support too from the community...I wonder what applications there might be for such programs in Uganda in development work.

Sourceforge is the 'warehouse' for some 150,000+ open source programs, I've listed the link on the diigo.com site above, in case you'd like to do a keyword search or browse through different categories.

Bon, I love you guys, and wish you all the best. Tomorrow I start a job in downtown LA, using French!

-Compe

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Izzlebug said...

Please let K.V. know I know I mixed up the countries you and a former classmate fof mine are/will be in. Sorry! I don't know how I managed to get Ghana and Uganda twisted around, but I did.

In case you would be interested in learning more about what Albrta is up to in Africa, she is also on Blogger at www.albertasantecdotes.blogspot.com.

Hope all is well for you and the people you're helping out.

I.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Jewels said...

Awesome pictures Marty! Maria was so excited to see the elephants - wow! And Pumba - she used to sing Hakuna Matata when she was about 3. Hope those ants are history!!!

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! The pictures are great! It makes me want to be there, except for the story of the ants, which I hope are gone. Brings back bad memories of waking up to fire ants biting me as they marched thorugh my banda in Kenya. I hope your eye and general health are much improved. You are certainly missed here!

Wendy

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Bob said...

Erin wants to know where the tig-uhs and wineocewuses are.

Ellie loves the elephant...Erin, too.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Team Smith said...

No tigues here, sorry Erin. We will hope to see some wineocewuses at some point. We will get a picture for Erin. Does she know that her Aunt Martha once pet a live rhinocerus and a live baby elephant?

For those asking, we have been ant-free now for a week. Oh, how happy it makes me. We hope that they have given up and moved elsewhere.

 
At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey kids;

The animal list looks interesting. We would love to see them.
We meet some Florida animals up close and personal. While Niki and I were kayaking in Tampa Bay, we got the bright idea to sneak up on a bunch of manatees. (This was not a good idea) As we approached them we decided to glide up on them. Suddenly, one came up on my right and I looked down and realized I was right on top of them. All at once they spooked. The water exploded as they headed for deeper water. They picked me and my kayak up out of the water and tossed me in the water right in the middle of them. We had a good laugh and got out of there. Maybe it is good we don't have elephants here.

Love your site. Star says Hi!

Love,
Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home